帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
沙发
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-14 14:01:40 | 只看该作者
INTERVIEWER: Anders, you're from Sweden but you've lived in Austria. Can you tell me something about life in the two countries?
ANDERS: I spent my last year of university in Austria, half a year at the university in Vienna and the other half working as a ski instructor. I found the biggest differences were when I worked as a ski instructor. Well, do you know anything about Austrian food?
INTERVIEWER: No, not really. What is it like?
ANDERS: It's great! It's really unhealthy. A lot of fat. Cheese, sauerkraut, and all that. But it's so good. In Sweden I think the food is healthier, it's not that greasy. It's still homemade but....
INTERVIEWER: You eat more fresh vegetables in Sweden, then?
ANDERS: Exactly. In Austria the traditional food is sauerkraut and knodel.
INTERVIEWER: That's a kind of dumpling?
ANDERS: That's right.
INTERVIEWER: It's quite heavy food, isn't it?
ANDERS: Yes, but that's Austria. Austria is heavy food. Swedish food is a bit lighter. I love it.
INTERVIEWER: And you eat more fish in Sweden, don't you?
ANDERS: Yes. The fish in Austria is terrible. They cannot cook fish. You know the fish in Austria, they have to import it. They can't get saltwater fish in Austria at all, and they bring it in big tanks from the Mediterranean, so when the fish arrives in Austria it's already half-dead!
INTERVIEWER: That's not fresh, for you.
ANDERS: You know, I grew up on the west coast of Sweden – the best fish in Scandinavia!
INTERVIEWER: Well, what about the people; are Austrians similar to Swedish people? Are Austrians friendlier?
ANDERS: The Austrians are really friendly. They are. Especially in the countryside. I have made some really close friends there that I worked together with. But they are very traditional. Women are women. Men are men. There are tasks for women and tasks for men. And it feels like going back in time. Back to the fifties. Something like that.
INTERVIEWER: So they're more traditional than Swedish people.
ANDERS: They're more traditional.
INTERVIEWER: They don't share the work as equally?
ANDERS: No, not at all.
INTERVIEWER: That's interesting.
ANDERS: I went to a 50th anniversary. It was really interesting. It was a table like this. And just men sitting around. The women were out in the kitchen.
INTERVIEWER: Cooking?
ANDERS: Cooking! These were people from the countryside you have to remember that. And the women came in, first with the soup, then with the main course and then desserts. And when the coffee was served, the women came out. But I just wanted to see what they were doing, the women. Because I thought this was really unfair. You know, we were having so much fun out there and they were just working in there. So I looked into the kitchen. And they had fun in there too! Eating, drinking, gossiping! You know, compared to Sweden where everyone is so equal, this type of set-up would be impossible. Anyway, when the coffee was served, the women came out, and they brought guitars and an accordion and they sat down with us and we were singing and having a wonderful time together.
INTERVIEWER: What about the way of working? Do you think they have to work harder or work longer hours?
ANDERS: No, it's the same in that sense. But it's more bureaucratic in Austria. You know, in Sweden we use computers for everything. For example, at the post office in Sweden, each area employs 2 people. And 12 in Austria. They deliver the mail twice a day, mostly on foot, also on Saturdays. Of course, if you have 12 people, you need a manager. I think the technology is a bit too much in Sweden. Everything is so automated, so efficient, so people lose their jobs.
INTERVIEWER: Oh, I see.
ANDERS: That was a big difference. And when you do business in Austria, you have to be very polite. The form, the way you approach people is very important.
INTERVIEWER: Are they less direct than in Sweden?
ANDERS: Yes. You know, in Sweden you can tell people you don't like something. You can use their first name. Impossible in Austria. They're more formal. Much more formal. But if you understand that and you learn how to handle that, then you can get a lot of things done.
INTERVIEWER: What about the climate? I know Sweden has very long, very severe winters. Is that the same in Austria?
ANDERS: You know, it's much lighter in the winter. The sun is up for much longer in the winter in Austria. Sweden is dark. It's really dark. Where I live in Sweden we only have 3 or 4 hours of sun in the winter. But on the other hand, the summers are wonderful in Sweden. It's almost never dark, always some sort of light. But the climate is the same. It's as cold in winter and as warm in summer.
INTERVIEWER: What about the cost of living? Is it as expensive in Austria as it is in Sweden?
ANDERS: I would say that it's a bit cheaper in Austria than in Sweden but not that much. Going to the grocery store is about the same. Getting a haircut is about the same. Of course, going out for a beer is much cheaper in Austria because of the high taxes on alcohol in Sweden. And the beer is much better than Swedish beer!
INTERVIEWER: Are there any other differences that you noticed?
ANDERS: Well, of course, the girls are much more beautiful in Sweden!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
3#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-14 16:11:51 | 只看该作者
What would you do if the world were about to end?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
4#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-15 08:50:03 | 只看该作者
CUSTOMER: Excuse me? Do you have any Chet Baker?
SALES ASSISTANT: Let me just check for you. Yes, we do. It’s over here. Do you like jazz?
CUSTOMER: No, I prefer pop music. This is for my dad. He really likes jazz and blues. Is there anything you would recommend as a Christmas gift?
SALES ASSISTANT: How much money will you be spending?
CUSTOMER: Hmmm. Around $30.
SALES ASSISTANT: Does your dad prefer jazz or blues?
CUSTOMER: Well, he prefers blues, but he likes jazz very much too.
SALES ASSISTANT: We have Billie Holiday’s greatest hits on special offer. Or, if you prefer something more instrumental, we’ll have a really good blues guitar collection in stock later this week. Would you be interested in buying that?
CUSTOMER: I really don’t like that kind of music, but I’m sure my dad would love it. How long will I have to wait for it?
SALES ASSISTANT: It could be arriving in the shop tomorrow. Would you like me to call you when it arrives?
CUSTOMER: Yes, please.
SALES ASSISTANT: Will you be buying that CD now, or later?
CUSTOMER:  Now, please. I’ll be paying by credit card, if that’s ok?
SALES ASSISTANT: Great. That’s $15, please.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
5#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-15 11:18:56 | 只看该作者
Patty: Welcome to the Patty Tessy Gabrielle Show. I'm Patty Tessy Gabrielle, and we have a very special guest with us today-dream expert Stella Reverie. Stella has just published a new book. The title is...In Your Dreams, Baby. Stella, it's great to have you here.

Stella: Thanks, Patty! It's absolutely fantastic to be here. Just wonderful. It's transcendent! Out of this world!

Patty: Uh…yes. Anyway, Stella, as I understand it, in your book you tell us how our dreams can predict the future.

Stella: That’s right, Patty. And the book is available right now in bookstores everywhere.  If you buy the book, you’ll learn how your dreams predict your future. It’s only $29.99, and it includes a full-color chart with corresponding zodiac signs and incense holders lined up with crystals and a section on aromatherapy with an attached past life regression kit that refers back to the first half of my last book…

Patty: Well, I’m certainly looking forward to reading it, Stella, but tell us now, do you really believe can show the future?

Stella: Of course I do, doesn’t everybody?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
6#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-15 12:06:35 | 只看该作者
Patty: Welcome to the Patty Tessy Gabrielle Show. I'm Patty Tessy Gabrielle, and we have a very special guest with us today-dream expert Stella Reverie. Stella has just published a new book. The title is...In Your Dreams, Baby. Stella, it's great to have you here.

Stella: Thanks, Patty! It's absolutely fantastic to be here. Just wonderful. It's transcendent! Out of this world!

Patty: Uh…yes. Anyway, Stella, as I understand it, in your book you tell us how our dreams can predict the future.

Stella: That’s right, Patty. And the book is available right now in bookstores everywhere.  If you buy the book, you’ll learn how your dreams predict your future. It’s only $29.99, and it includes a full-color chart with corresponding zodiac signs and incense holders lined up with crystals and a section on aromatherapy with an attached past life regression kit that refers back to the first half of my last book…

Patty: Well, I’m certainly looking forward to reading it, Stella, but tell us now, do you really believe can show the future?

Stella: Of course I do, doesn’t everybody?

Patty: Well, I’m not sure. There might be a few skeptics out there.

Stella: Well, I’ll be dipped.

Patty: Could you give us a few examples of what our dreams can tell us about the future?

Stella: Absolutely! Let’s see…Okay…Do you know what it means if you dream of old shoes?

Patty: I have no idea.

Stella: If you dream about old shoes, you’ll have money problems.

Patty: Money problems!

Stella: That’s right. And if you dream about climbing stairs, you’ll solve a problem. And if you dream about leaving a house, there will be big change in your life.

Patty: Okay, let me get this straight.  If I dream about climbing stairs, I’ll solve a big problem. If I dream about leaving a house, there’ll be big change in my life. Is that right?

Stella: Right-o! And if you dream about losing a ring, you’ll have emotional problems. If you dream about school, you’ll learn an important lesson.

Patty: Okay. If I dream about losing a ring, I’ll have emotional problems. If I dream about school, I’ll learn a lesson.

Stella: Exactly. And if you dream about a comfortable chair, your life will get easier soon.

Patty: I’m going to try to dream about that chair tonight!

Stella: If you dream about a map, you’ll take a trip. If you dream about a hospital, you’ll have health problems. If you dream about a mailbox, you’ll receive some important news.

Patty: Ok. Let’s go over that again. If I dream about a map, I’ll take a trip.  If I dream about a hospital, I’ll have health problems.  If I dream about a mailbox, I’ll receive some important news.
Stella: You’ve got it!

Patty: Stella, last night I had a dream about the moon. What could that mean?

Stella: The moon! That’s wonderful! That’s absolutely fantastic. It’s transcendent! Out of this world! Congratulations!

Patty: Congratulations! Why?

Stella: If you dream about the moon, you might have a baby!!!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

大学生

积分
注册时间
07-3-6
7#
梧桐树下的约会 发表于 08-10-15 12:46:27 | 只看该作者

I like it

Pls go on:try
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
8#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-15 16:38:21 | 只看该作者
INTERVIEWER: Kilian, what should people know and decide before they call their travel agents and plan a vacation?
KILLIAN: Before they call their travel agents, people should know what their budget is. They should know how much money they want to spend on the vacation. They should also know what they want to do, where they want to go, and how long they want to be away. And they should be flexible when they call their travel agent. For example, they may not be able to leave or return on the exact day they want to.
INTERVIEWER: Are there better or worse times to travel?
KILLIAN: Trying to fly on a weekend is always more expensive than during the week. Most people want to leave on a Thursday or Friday, and return on a Sunday or Monday, so on those days an airline ticket can be more expensive.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

高中生

积分
注册时间
08-6-29
9#
空中飞人 发表于 08-10-15 19:18:29 | 只看该作者
Garbage!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
10#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-15 19:47:33 | 只看该作者
原帖由 空中飞人 于 08-10-15 19:18 发表
Garbage!

Don't introduce yourself before leaving massage!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
11#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-16 14:07:03 | 只看该作者
Barbara: Hello! Welcome to Go Away Now. I'm Barbara. May I help you?  

Donna: Yes, I'm interested in taking a vacation.  a holiday away from home  

Barbara: Have you ever traveled with us before?  

Donna: No, this is my first time.   

Barbara: Where would you like to go?  

Donna: I'm not sure. Where do you suggest?  

recommend, advise

Barbara: We offer trips all over the world. Is there any part of the world you've never seen?  

Donna: Sure. I haven't traveled much.   

Barbara: Have you ever been to Africa? We offer some inexpensive package tours. Take a look at the brochure. Or how about India? Have you ever been there? We have special rates to India. There's a lot to see in India. Let's see.... Here's our Indian brochure.

cheap holiay deals with everything included

advertising leaflet  

Donna: Hmm...I haven't been to either of those places, but I don't know....   

Barbara: We also have a low budget trip to Australia. Are you interested?  

low cost, cheap holiday  

Donna: Oh, yes. I've never been to Australia before. Have you?   

Barbara: I was there last spring. It's beautiful. I highly recommend it. Take a look at this brochure.  

refer, approve of or advise to do something  

Donna: Okay, let's plan a trip to Australia!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
12#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-17 15:04:30 | 只看该作者
Well, as you all know by now, we're going to launch a new perfume early this fall. People will love its specially developed new fragrance.Our market share is very healthy at the moment—12% of the market here in North America. So now is a good time to push further into this existing market and see if we can improve our market share.
Some of our biggest competitors are also about to launch new brands. We need to keep ahead of the game and have our product in the market place before them. We need to be prepared for the Christmas consumer rush—and ready before they are. That's why we're going to launch in September instead of October, as was the previous plan. We're going to call the new perfume "Ice". We think people will really notice the name.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
13#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-29 14:52:23 | 只看该作者
WIFE: Hi, sweetheart! How was your day at work?
HUSBAND: Fine.
WIFE: How was your meeting with your boss?
HUSBAND: Okay.
WIFE: Did he like your ideas for the new project?
HUSBAND: Uh huh.
WIFE: Is something wrong?
HUSBAND: No.
WIFE: Something’s bothering you. What’s wrong?
HUSBAND: I’m fine.
WIFE: Come on...you can tell me. Why don’t we talk about it? That will help.
HUSBAND: Really, I’m okay. I don’t want to talk about it.
WIFE: It will make you feel better if you do.
HUSBAND: I don’t want to talk about it!
WIFE: Hey...I didn’t do anything! What’s your problem?
HUSBAND: I’m going out.
Door slams.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
14#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-29 16:40:18 | 只看该作者
Chief: Good morning, Sergeant Michaels. Good morning, Capt. Ryan.
Deborah: Good morning.
Gary: Morning.
Chief: I've spoken to both of you, and it's clear we have a big problem on our hands. Sergeant Michaels claims that you, Captain Ryan, have repeatedly made sexual advances toward her. As you know, she has filed a lawsuit against you and the city. And, as you know, Sergeant Michaels, Captain Ryan has denied the charges. Now, let me be clear. I do not want this thing to go to court. I want to settle it right here in our own department. I want to settle it today. I've brought you together today to see if we can work this thing out. Captain Ryan, do you have anything to say?
Gary: I am innocent. I never touched Sergeant Michaels on the knee. I never kissed her neck. I never massaged her shoulders. I never touched her at all.
Deborah: He's lying. He's kissed my neck lots of times. When we're in the patrol car, his hands are constantly on my knees, in my hair. It's disgusting. He loves my hair for some reason.
Gary: I'm a married man. I love my wife and kids. I'm not interested in Sergeant Michaels. She's lying. I don't know why, but she is.
Deborah: Look. I'm only a sergeant. He's a captain. He can hurt my career if he wants to. So why would I lie about something like this? I feel sorry for his wife and children, but he should lose his job. Sexual harassment is against the law. And Capt. Ryan has sexually harassed me...not once, but many times. I'm tired of it. I want him fired.
Gary: She should be fired. She's a liar. She just wants to make some fast money. I read about these cases all the time. It's my word against hers.
Deborah: Fine. Then let's go to court. The jury will believe me.
Gary: Fine with me. I'll fight to protect my reputation.
Chief: Well, I can see we're not getting anywhere. Captain Ryan, could you leave the room, please? I want to speak to Sergeant Michaels alone.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
15#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-10-30 14:11:12 | 只看该作者
C.S.M.: Next person in line.
Molly: Hello.
C.S.M.: Hello. What can I do for you today?
Molly: Eh, yes, I’d like to open a bank account, please.
C.S.M.: Oh, certainly. What kind of account do you want to open with us?
Molly: I think just a current account.
C.S.M.: Pardon me?
Molly: I...eh...I come from Britain. I don’t really know what you call them here. It’s an account where I can deposit or withdraw money whenever I want. You know, there’s generally no interest paid on it.
C.S.M.: Oh, eh. Well, we have a number of different types of accounts you can choose from. We have checking, savings, joint checking and joint savings.
Molly: What was the first one you said?
C.S.M.: The first...let me see. Oh, you mean checking? Did I say checking first? And savings....
Molly: Right. That one’s clear. I know what a savings account is. You put your money there if you don’t think you will need to spend it. It pays interest on your money.
C.S.M.: At the moment we’re offering a savings account and a super saver account. With the savings account you can withdraw your money at any time, no extra fee and you don’t lose any interest.
Molly: Okay. No, I don’t want that. I just want a current account really.
C.S.M.: Eh....
Molly: I’ll tell you what: you describe all the others and I’ll see which one matches what we call a current account in Britain.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
16#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-11-1 11:51:36 | 只看该作者

How to stand up for yourself

Standing up for yourself doesn't
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
17#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-11-1 12:11:00 | 只看该作者
mean you have to be rude. Say what you have  to say and  move  on. Anger and rudeness just don't work. The key to success in confrastations is to use the appropriate tone of voice and words. Speak to someone like you would like to be spoken to.

Try to look people in the eye. This can be hard for people who are nervous or shy, but it shows that you will be not ignored. Communicate in direct, open and honest way. If you don't need confront someone, don't. Make a polite request.

Use a clear, calm voice. You don't need to speak loudly, but you do need to make yourself heard. If people aren't noticing you, say clearly in a neutral tone:"Excuse me." Be precise in whatever you are trying to say.

People can tell if you already know what you want and therefore it's easier for them to help you. Don't be afraid to tell someone exactly what you think, but do so in a polite way. Speak your mind. Ask for what you want, but choose you words so that you can walk away with dignity, even if you don't get what you want.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
18#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-11-1 20:21:19 | 只看该作者
For good health, we need a balanced diet of the right foods, and if you want to live a long, healthy life, then you should eat healthy. Research has shown that eating a balanced diet can help reduce the risk of different diseases, including cancer and heart disease.
What exactly is a balanced diet? Eating a balanced diet means that each day you should eat a variety of foods. There are, of course, many different kinds of food, and we can put these into groups. For example, we talk about the fruit group, the vegetable group, the grain group (that’s like bread, cereal, rice, and pasta), the dairy group, and meat and beans group. To make sure you have a balanced diet, I recommend you choose from each of the various food groups when you plan your menu.
Each day, most of what you eat should come from the grain group. You should try to get between six and ten servings of grain each day. One serving of grain could be, for example, a slice of bread or a half a cup of rice. Also, you should eat three to five servings of vegetables. One serving of vegetables could be half a cup of broccoli or maybe a cup of lettuce. Be sure also to eat a lot of fruit—two to four servings is what you should aim for. One serving of fruit could be one apple or a small glass of fruit juice. Dairy foods are important, too, in a balanced diet, but you should only eat small amounts of foods like milk, yogurt, or cheese - no more than two to three servings. Also be careful with the meat and beans group - and that includes fish and chicken - again, no more than two to three servings each day.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
19#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-11-1 20:51:12 | 只看该作者
Our body does not produce all the vitamins we need to stay healthy, so we need to eat foods with the right vitamins. Many packets of food we buy in supermarkets nowadays list the various vitamins the food contains, but how many of us know why these vitamins are important? Let’s have a look at the most important ones.
First, vitamin A. Vitamin A helps your vision and skin, helps prevent those wrinkles that we all worry about! You can find vitamin A in things like milk, eggs, liver, and cheese. Next, Vitamin B. There are a number of different ones here. Vitamin B1 produces energy and can be found in foods such as whole grains and beans. Vitamin B2 is important for growth and skin health. B2 is found in dairy products and in meat, chicken, and fish. For your digestive system, try vitamin B3, which is found in meat, fish, and peanut butter. Vitamin C is important too. It helps heal wounds and promotes healthy teeth. Tomatoes and many fruits contain Vitamin C, so there is truth in the old saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Vitamin D strengthens bones; milk contains Vitamin D, which is why it is important to make sure that growing children drink lots of milk. Finally, Vitamin E helps in the production of red blood cells. Vitamin E can be found in eggs, nuts, and seeds.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

八通币

硕士生

积分
注册时间
05-4-30
20#
 楼主| 田野牧歌 发表于 08-11-3 09:03:50 | 只看该作者
Nick: You eat pork?
Joshua: Of course. I like eating bacon for breakfast, ham on sandwiches. Why, don’t you?
Nick: No.  I’ll eat a little ham in soup, but that's it. My doctor says pork is fatty.  He said to try to avoid meaty foods and eat more vegetables.
Joshua: That’s fine for you but not me. I’ll eat anything that had legs: beef, chicken, lamb, pork. As for vegetables, I just try to avoid them.
Nick: Why ?
Joshua: Vegetables are disgusting. Especially tomatoes. I figure I am only alive once so I should eat what I enjoy.
Nick: I enjoy living, too, but I would rather eat a little less meat, and live a little longer. Haven’t you ever considered that eating all that meaty, greasy garbage will make you die young?
Joshua: No! Look at Bill Clinton.
Nick: What about Bill Clinton?
Joshua: He lives on doughnuts, burritos and potato chips and he still looks great.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

联系我们| 广告联系| 手机版|小黑屋|八通网  

GMT+8, 24-6-6 10:24